Feeling sick? Your HVAC system could be making you worse. According to a study done by the EPA, indoor air can be up to five times more polluted than the air outside! And bad indoor air quality can cause numerous flu-like symptoms such as:
- Runny nose
- Sore, dry or scratchy throat
- Itchy, watery or irritated eyes
- Respiratory problems
Keeping your HVAC System maintained regularly improves your indoor air quality and helps to mitigate mold, mildew and allergens from spreading. Take the following 6 steps to keep you and your loved ones healthy:
- Replace air filters regularly. Clean or replace your air filter at minimum every three months. During peak usage or if you have pets, consider changing the filter monthly. Filters keep out dust, pollen, spores and other airborne problems that can lead to severe health issues. Consider installing an electrostatic filter, which employs an electric charge to capture more airborne particles than standard filters.
- Look for leaks in your air ducts. Check your HVAC ductwork regularly for leaks and gaps. Over time, holes can occur in the ductwork and cause unfiltered air to seep in and disperse throughout your home. Duct sealing also cuts energy costs because heated and cooled air can no longer escape through the cracks. If problems continues, you may consider having your air ducts cleaned regularly.
- Keep your outdoor unit clean. Your outdoor HVAC unit is going to pull anything close to it into your home. To avoid pulling in contaminated air, clean the area on a regular basis. It’s the same with your indoor unit. Sweep, dust, and vacuum around that area to keep out the dust and airborne particles.
- Determine if you need a dehumidifier. Florida is famous for its humid weather. A dehumidifier reduces moisture from indoor air and helps to control allergens. Try to keep the humidity levels in your home below 50 percent and always ensure proper ventilation in damp areas, such as bathrooms. This will help prevent mold and dust mites.
- Add an air purifier. You may want to purchase an air purifier for your house. Models range from small units to extensive house-wide systems. When you are shopping, look for a style featuring the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturer’s (AHAM) seal of approval.
- Purchase a maintenance plan. It’s very important that you keep your HVAC system cleaned and maintained regularly. It’s the only way to keep mold, mildew and allergens from spreading all throughout your house. Have an HVAC professional come in and ensure that your system functions properly and dust is not blocking or clogging it up.
If you have an HVAC system in your house that is more than 10 years old, you can improve the air quality just by replacing your current equipment as well by upgrading to a more energy-efficient model.
Alvarez Plumbing & Air conditioning offers exceptional air conditioning services that will keep your cooling system clean, working efficiently and saving you money. Be sure to contact us when you need air conditioner maintenance. Give us a call today.